Tuesday, September 10, 2013

World Suicide Prevention Day



Quite a few years ago, someone I knew committed suicide. It wasn't somebody that I knew very well, but this stuck with me nonetheless. Why? I was one of the last people to talk with this young man before he took his own life.

Within hours of our conversation, he hanged himself.

To this day, I wonder if I could've done more for him. I wonder what was in his mind and his heart as we were talking. Was he reaching out to me, and I missed it? Was there something I could've said that would've made him change his mind?

He was a quiet kid. Not really much of a talker-a little awkward sometimes. I was always nice to him--I hope he realized I never thought or spoke ill of him. He laughed, he smiled, he had people he hung out with.

So what in his life made him take his fate into his own hands?

I don't know. I'll never know. The memory of our last encounter haunts me, and always will. 

I learned a very important lesson from him, though. Because of him, I try to be a little more friendly to the people I meet. I put myself out there more when I pass people each day.

Because you never really know what someone may be dealing with behind closed doors. Your smile, your interest, your genuine concern could more than brighten their day. You could help bring them back into the light.

But also, if you think someone you know and love may be considering hurting themselves, don't try to help them on your own (unless you're licensed to). Please make sure they know you care, but help them seek out professional help.

Here are just a few resources:



Much Love and Big Hugs,





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...