Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DIMyself: Ice Cream Cone Christmas Trees


Sunday the kiddos and I decorated “Christmas Tree” Ice Cream Cones. I’ve seen them all over the internet and being repinned like crazy on Pinterest. Every year, we try decorating a gingerbread house, and every year it looks like crap. I’ve never made gingerbread, so I always buy a kit, thinking it’s going to be easier.

Who am I kidding?

I have tiny kids, they can’t construct something with “icing” glue. They can barely construct something with actual glue.

I figured ice cream cones would be doable, since the project was basically like decorating a 3D cookie. (Decorating sugar cookies is something we do often in our house.) All in all, I would say the project was a success. Of course, Small’s tree looked like all the bottles of sprinkles exploded on it, but she was happy with it, and that’s all that matters.

ICE CREAM CONE CHRISTMAS TREES

This was my tree. I'm very proud of it. :)

Ingredients:


Icing--I used a basic sugar cookie icing recipe:
4 cups powdered sugar
3 Tbsps butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla
Milk
Green Food Coloring.

*Cream together the powdered sugar and butter, stir in the Vanilla and then add enough milk to make the consistency you want. For this project, I left it a little thicker so that the candies would stick & the icing would harden a little when done.
*Then stir in the food coloring. I used about 20 drops (I wanted very green trees.)
*Note: Since we only did 3 trees, there was lots of icing left over for cookies. :)


Sugar Cones
Assorted Candies for decorating--
We used Mini M&Ms
Twizzler Pull & Peel licorice
Girl Scouts Gummi Berries
& some random Christmas themed sprinkles & sugars I always have on hand.

First: We slathered icing all over the sugar cones.





Second: We added sprinkles and candies to our hearts’ delight.



Third: We ate.


The decorating only took about 30 min after the frosting and other ingredients were assembled. Which is great for short attention spans. This is definitely a project we’ll be doing until the girls are old enough (read: coordinated enough) to attempt gingerbread houses again. Heck, we might even do it again yet this Christmas!

Have a Merry (and tasty) Christmas!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...